There are a lot of reasons why someone might want to check out a guide like T Dub Sanders'. One might be interested in the underside of the game testing field. Others might just want to know what they can gain from a guide that is written to help people understand their role in the gaming industry. Others still are just pining for that ultimate career working alongside game developers and designers.

Whatever the reason, T Dub Sanders has put together one of the biggest and best game testing guides on the market – one that shows the underpinnings of the career in their raw, real format. There are no false promises of automatic testing or sitting at home and playing the newest games for hundreds of dollars a day.

That stuff is all pretty much a pipe dream and most people know it – yet many guide writers try to tell everyone that they can become the biggest and best new game testers in a field that doesn't really exist every day and too many fall for it. On the other hand, what T Dub has put together is a much more realistic, much more comprehensive look at what game testing is really about – the hard work and dedication that goes into becoming someone in charge of all that code each day.

By showing what it really takes to be a game tester, T Dub opens up an actual, realistic path to getting into the industry. He showcases skills needed to get started as a tester, the classes or college majors that people better be willing to invest in if they want to be a professional in this field and much more to help them figure out not only if the career path is right for them but if they are going to be cut out for it. That means a great deal for someone who may or may not know exactly what a game tester does and how it operates.

For anyone that is thinking about taking the path toward becoming a game tester, one of the first things that needs to be done is to learn more about what the career entails. Those people should pick up T Dub's newest guide and get a real insider's look at the job and how it really works. If you're serious about doing what T Dub shows you, you'll be on the fast track toward game testing in no time flat.

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Lasombra Files: Episode 37: Doctor's Orders

.

The ground kisses my body as I'm dropped on something solid. With the hood still on my head I could be in a room filled with carnivorous rats who have been famished on purpose for this very event. A slow, rhythmic, mocking clap breaks the silence as my head twists and turns to find the source and location of the sound. A hard punch cracks my jaw, and the clapping still commences in episode 37: Doctor's Orders. Another hard punch cracks my jaw the other way to balance out the pain, with the clapping still mocking me as if I were someone inept that finally finished a simple task. Silence soon befell the room again only to be broken by the sound of my own voice screaming in pain.

Name: Kyle Newman [ps3Freak18]
Age:25
Gender: Male
Occupation: Jack of all trades.
Country: USA

Disclaimer: This interview is reproduced as written by the interviewee except for grammar and spelling corrections. Pictures copyright of their artist/photographer/owner. All likenesses used are for parody and/or satirical purposes.

Lasombra: How long have you been gaming?

Freak: I have been gaming for quite a while now. I believe I was 4 years old when I played my first video game. All it took was an NES and Skate or Die and I was hooked for life! I played the game for hours, ignoring the fact that I was terrible at it. I was just consumed by how much fun interacting with the T.V. could be.

Lasombra: How did you find PSU?

Freak: Honestly, I think I slipped up on it through a random Google search for something. I honestly can't remember what it was that I was looking for. It is a good thing though because PSU was on the first page of Google searches even back that long ago. I couldn't be happier that I stumbled upon PSU. It has given me much entertainment over the years.

Lasombra: Are you solely a Sony gamer this generation or do you split your time between multiple systems?

Freak: I started off the current console generation with a 360. This was the first time this has ever happened for me. I've always owned Sony's consoles before adopting any other brands. I think the majority of the choice was decided by the year head start and the ludicrous price of the PS3. I eventually got a PS3 when it was dropped to $499.

At first, I played my 360 almost solely. After more games started to come to the PS3, my time slowly started to shift from the 360 to the PS3. After about a year or so, I found myself playing PS3 for all games and 360 for exclusives. I hung on to my 360 for a while but after Mass Effect jumped the exclusive ship I started contemplating trading it. Then one day Gamestop was running a trade in special on the 360, so I decided to trade it in for a 120 GB PS3 Slim. Haven't looked back since.

Lasombra: What do you like about the community at PSU that keeps bringing you back for more?

Freak: The people here are amazing! We have members from all across the world and all types of personalities. I have talked to many people on PSU that I would consider friends. It may be odd to think this because they are across the world, but there are some great people on here. You get to know them just like your real life friends and you realize how great they are.

Not to mention, I think the Counting Thread keeps me coming back most of all. That is where my core PSU friends are. #Countingbros4life!

Lasombra: In your opinion, what needs to be done to help the community to grow bigger and better?

Freak: PSU has grown very much over the past few years. I've seen it grow from a smaller site, with a smaller community to a thriving source of information. One thing that has always stuck out to me is the separation of the site and the forum. Most members don't check the home page and use PSU solely for the forums.

If there is more integration with the two I believe it would bring in new members and make the site more involved. I think this would keep members involved more.

Lasombra: Do you have any gaming goals for this year?

Freak: Get a PS4, earn more platinums, play more game, and have a kick ass time doing it!

Lasombra: Are you a Trophy hunter, and what do you think about Trophies overall?

Freak: Absolutely! I've been addicted to Trophies since I bought Super Stardust HD just for the Trophies. I got Trophies and an awesome game all together. I think Trophies help give a bit of extra replay value. Some gamers see it as a tack on but not me. The only issue that I have with Trophies myself is I become too focused on them. I find myself more worried about getting Trophies at times than actually playing the game. When this happens I try to pull myself away from the thought of Trophies and just let them come naturally. Although that doesn't always work!

Lasombra: The PS2 dominated a console war like no other system. What tricks does Sony need to pull out of their hat to create the same magic with the PS4.

Freak: I think first and foremost for Sony this gen should be marketing in the U.S. MS dominated the U.S. market and it helped them maintain a healthy lead for most of the generation. The U.S. has become a crucial piece in the console wars to help maintain a lead. One thing that you see more of in the U.S. is Xbox ads versus PS ads. Although I will say since the reveal of the "Greatness Awaits" ad it has been running quite a bit. So it looks like Sony might be on track to improve this from last generation.

I think another factor could be bringing back some of the great franchises from the past. Crash, Jak & Daxter, Jet Moto, and more of the classics. I think that nostalgia factor could help sell games and systems. Also they need to keep up with the exclusives. This has always been a focal point with Sony. I don't see that changing this coming generation.

Lasombra: Do you have a favourite era of gaming? The SNES/Genesis war? The reign of the PlaySation Reich? Hail to the NES?

Freak: The PS2 days were the best gaming years for me. There were so many great games that just consumed my time. I remember that giddy feeling when I got my PS2 and Smuggler's Run for my birthday. Sony knew what they were doing by providing games in droves! I hope the PS4 can spark some of that success.

Lasombra: Is there a lot of gaming culture in your area of the world? Unique stores, conventions, etc?

Freak: I live in a small town in Louisiana. There isn't really much around to keep gamers occupied. All we have is Gamestop and the other common players like Best Buy. The only thing that we have that is for gamers is a tournament at my Alma Mater. It is run by the Computer Programming department. It is basically a big ball room with stations set up for PCs and some console stations. They give away prizes, provide commentary for matches, and have intense tournaments for games like Unreal Tournament and Counter Strike. It is a lot of fun.

Lasombra: Have you ever been burnt out from a gaming session?

Freak: I've been in a bit of a gaming funk since January. I think I'm just getting burnt out on this generation. There have been some great moments for me but I find myself forcing to play at times. I think the fact that it is coming to an end has me having a tough time playing. I will say though, The Last of Us has me completely hooked! I don't think that I've played a game quite as special as this. ND has seriously outdone themselves. I think it is a perfect swan song for the PS3!

Lasombra: What game would you buy or re-buy if it had a platinum, regardless of the system.

Freak: I think two games would hold strong here. Either GTA 3 or Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. To put it simple I believe that I could have earned the platinum five times over if they had them. Those games consumed my life!

Lasombra: Do you think Trophies have helped, hurt, or had little affect on the gaming industry and gaming as a hobby?

Freak: For me they have definitely helped me have a drive to get through some games that I get bogged down in. I think overall it can't be a bad thing. There is a massive amount of gamers that care about their trophy count and how high their rating is. I believe it has helped give fans something to be passionate about.

Lasombra: Having a high PSN level but few platinums, what was it about those games that made you not go for the plat?

Freak: This is a really tough question. Sometimes I am just driven to get a platinum at all cost and others I just want to finish the game and be done with it. My overall bane to my low platinum count has to do with online Trophies!!! I absolutely despise them for a couple reasons. Mostly they throw them in there for Trophy hunters to play their online. My issue with it is that I use mobile broadband for my primary internet because I live in a rural area. I have to cross my fingers if a game will work online due to slow speeds and latency. So sometimes I'm screwed from getting a platinum right from the start. It's very frustrating. Online trophies are the worst thing to happen to the trophy system.

If it's not the online Trophies I usually just don't feel the need to play through a game again. I have to love a game to want to play through it again just on a different difficulty. I also rent a lot of my games from Gamefly, so sometimes I'm on a time frame to get the game back before the next game I want comes out.

Lasombra: What has your greatest Trophy achievement been?

Freak: I believe the biggest had to be Beat Zico from Wipeout HD! That Trophy was insane but once I went for it I had to have it after getting close so many times. I think a runner up for that would be obtaining S Rank License in GT5. Those were a bit tough and almost cost me a controller.

Lasombra: Having started on the 360, but also having a love for trophies, what was it about achievements that didn`t keep you hooked to not jump ship? Is there a fundamental difference between them for you?

Freak: I enjoyed getting achievements but there isn't much to them. It's just a number. I know the simplification for trophies is basic but at least you can easily discern between something that took a while or was difficult by a silver or gold trophy. A 25 point achievement can sometimes be something minimal to major. In the end it is just a game of math for developers adding achievements up to equal 1000, most of the time. Not to mention that ding from earning a Trophy makes me smile inside.

Lasombra: Were there any games you bought because of Trophies that you would not have tried otherwise?

Freak: Super Stardust HD was the first game that I played with trophies. I bought it for the sole purpose of getting Trophies. Then I get this amazing game to boot. It is honestly one of my favorite PSN games this generation. I couldn't have been happier with my purchase.

The knife in my shoulder dug deep, cutting through skin, sinew, muscle and bone. Slowly it was pulled out, 1100th of the speed of impact to elongate the pain and torment. As the tip of the blade left the wound by a single millimeter it was thrust back in like an OCD-distorted savant trying to make the perfect knife wound in episode 38: Edited for TV. Anyone who says it is just a knife wound and to suck it up has never been knifed, let alone repeatedly in the same wound. Blood spurts down my shoulder and body from the gaping hole but that is the least of my worries as the blade of the knife can be felt on my neck, pressed slowly into the carotid artery.

Missed an episode? Check out the back issues.

Want to hear random thoughts about life in Japan, gaming, or want to leave your thoughts about the series and the story? Follow our intrepid reporter on Facebook,Twitter, or email him at Dane.Smith@psu.com.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment